I haven’t cycled much lately, what with one thing and other. In seeking a bit of inspiration I watched the Tour de France highlights on TV this evening (first time for many, many years) and couldn’t resist going for a quick blast afterwards.
It was raining. I hesitated.
“Becky, do you think I should run, cycle or stay in?”
“Go for a bike ride Dad”.
“And you Hannah, what’s your view?”
Hannah replied (with her daft question look) “Bike”
“Rachel?” I gently enquired.
“You decide” was the firm reply.
And so it was. Quickly changed and I was off. Just a quick blast covering 8 miles in the rain and I loved it, almost following my favourite hilly running route, but not quite.
Here’s a few highlights:
- hardly any cars on the road once outside the town
- at one point the road was flooded. I couldn’t go into the middle of the road because I was about to be overtaken. As I hit the water it was so deep it felt as if I’d pulled the brakes on hard
- a car then overtook and showered me with a huge deluge. For half a second I was annoyed and then I felt exhilarated!
- clocked 39mph on a fast downhill stretch
- got reminded of how versatile the Thorn Audax really is
- felt fabulous
- reminded that my Montane Featherlite jacket is NOT waterproof
- my Specialized Sonoma shoes soak up so much water it’s like wearing diving boots
- forgot brakes don’t work very well in the wet….