For a long time I have enjoyed reading other people’s blogs and I guess that led me into my own, which I also enjoy. But why? Why would anyone want to write a blog, or a blog about cycling?
Here’s a few thoughts:
- Have a rant. Some blogs are written by people who want to shout, complain and stir people up about a cause they believe in. Or perhaps because they are naturally rude and enjoy shocking people?
- Personal journal. Keeping a record for anyone to read about something. In the case of cycling, it could be about starting out as a “newby” or “noooobe” and where others can leave encouraging comments.
- Being on a journey, which follows the point above. A journey can literally be just that in terms of touring around, crossing a continent etc. Or it could be about a personal journey through life (these can be fascinating)
- To entertain with humour, or through expressing your own insight
- Campaigning blogs can be very effective, perhaps about road safety, cycling facilities etc
- To inform others about your area of expertise, sharing knowledge
- Blogs are cheaper than magazines and they can have a more personal feel
- Making money through advertising and affiliate links. Some people can make serious money. Myself, well I’m not anticipating early retirement at this stage!
- Be on a mission about something you feel strongly about and want to share with the world
So, why not start your own blog – it’s fun!